Dr. J. David Holcomb, MD is a double board-certified facial plastic and cosmetic laser surgeon (American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, American Board of Otolaryngology) who has practiced in Sarasota, Florida since 2000.
Dr. J. David Holcomb
Facial plastic surgeon
Dr. Holcomb completed a surgery internship (Department of Surgery) and residency training (Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery) at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City, Iowa. He then completed a fellowship in advanced cosmetic facial plastic surgery with the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
A gifted specialist
Dr. Holcomb is recognized as a Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctor for the specialty of Plastic Surgery (cosmetic and reconstructive facial surgery, laser surgery). He is a respected expert and published author on the topics of erbium YAG laser surgery of the skin, fiber laser surgery of the face and neck, helium plasma dermal resurfacing and integration of these and other technologies with facial rejuvenation surgery. Dr. Holcomb co-developed the AccuLift™ laser facial contouring procedure.
He also introduced the procedure on the award-winning CBS show The Doctors several years ago, and then integrated these techniques with anti-aging face surgery (laser-assisted facelift). In addition to laser surgery, Dr. Holcomb specializes in cosmetic surgery of the face and nose, including brow lift, eyelid surgery, facelift, neck contouring, rhinoplasty, and otoplasty. He is also frequently asked to perform revision cosmetic surgery. He has more than 20 years of surgical experience, and has hospital affiliation with Sarasota Memorial Hospital.
In January 2014, Dr. Holcomb welcomed Dr. Joshua Kreithen, MD, breast and body contouring specialist, in a merger to form Holcomb Kreithen Plastic Surgery & MedSpa, which has quickly grown to become one of Florida’s larger plastic surgery practices with nearly 30 full-time employees.
- American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Board of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Advanced cosmetic facial plastic surgery, AAFPRS
Medical Staff Member
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctor
- Plastic Surgery (cosmetic and reconstructive surgery face, laser surgery)
- Florida Medical Association
- Florida Society of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Past President
- Sarasota County Medical Society – Past President
- The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Committees/Corporate Boards (current)
- President and Medical Director, Holcomb – Kreithen Plastic Surgery and Dermatology
- Founder and Executive Medical Director, Institute for Integrated Aesthetics
- Consultant, Apyx Medical Corporation
- Consultant, InMode Ltd.
- Consultant, Allergan
- Consultant, Suneva Medical
Dr. J. David Holcomb on Medial Crural Sequential Vectoring Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty is an operation of many intricate complexities that also remains as much of an art as a science wherein “just enough, but not too much” manipulation of various structures is required for optimal outcomes. Surgical challenges that are critical to outcomes that may be addressed during rhinoplasty include, among others, management of the bony nasal pyramid; management of middle nasal vault aesthetics and function; relationship of dorsal nasal height and nasal tip projection; nasal tip aesthetics; position and length of caudal septum and columella; relationship of medial crura to caudal septum and management of the nasal spine; premaxilla, and nasolabial angle. Revision rhinoplasty brings additional complexity to management of these many challenges when significant scarring or asymmetry is present, and when one or more structures may have been over-resected previously. Many elegant techniques have been described for these various facets of rhinoplasty, and it is incumbent on the rhinoplasty surgeon to have sufficiency of knowledge and technical prowess to be able to choose and — within the context of patient desires and realistic possibility — then execute appropriate techniques for the variable anatomical findings encountered with each patient. But even with appropriate confidence, humility, knowledge, and execution, rhinoplasty outcomes may not always fully meet a surgeon’s and/or a patient’s expectations...
Dr. J. David Holcomb on Helium Plasma Dermal Resurfacing (Renuvion Skin Resurfacing)
Skin rejuvenation plays a large part in helping to restore a more youthful appearance to the face. Dr. Holcomb incorporates skin rejuvenation into the overall treatment plan whenever possible because the overall result is enhanced. Dr. Holcomb has worked with Bovie Medical Corporation (now Apyx Medical Corporation) for approximately 5 years to help bring the new helium plasma dermal resurfacing technology forward – including helping to characterize the effects of helium plasma in an animal model, serving as a principal investigator in a completed FDA clinical trial using helium plasma for facial skin resurfacing (low energy, single pass treatment) and serving as a principal investigator in an ongoing FDA clinical trial using helium plasma for facial skin resurfacing (high energy, double pass treatment). These efforts have led to several publications in leading medical journals including:
- Holcomb, JD and Schucker, A (2019) Helium plasma skin regeneration – evaluation of skin tissue effects in a porcine model and comparison to nitrogen plasma skin regeneration. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7004100/
- Holcomb, JD (2019) Plasma Energy Skin Rejuvenation. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31779943/
- Holcomb JD, Kelly M, Hamilton TK, and DeLozier III JB (2020) A prospective study evaluating the use of helium plasma for dermal resurfacing. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32350901/
- Holcomb JD, Duncan D, Lin M, McCoy JD et al (2020) Helium Plasma Dermal Resurfacing: Consensus Guidelines. Dermatological Reviews: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/der2.22
Helium plasma dermal resurfacing treatment of facial skin is currently an off-label treatment that has shown remarkable results including reversal of skin discoloration, softening and elimination of lines and wrinkles and significant skin tightening.